Above all, PeerTube is a free and open-source, decentralized, federated video platform. It uses peer-to-peer technology to reduce load on individual servers when viewing videos. Hosting companies can install this software on their servers and create PeerTube website where users can view and upload videos as an alternative to YouTube.
In other words, it is a piece of software that enables anyone to run their own tube site (like YouTube) very easily. All of the sites everyone runs can talk to each other, and people with accounts on one can interact with people on others. So it is also a network of tube sites.
What is new in PeerTube v3 video platform
This version comes with many changes and improvements, thanks to the UX design team. Menus, notifications, administration and moderation tools have been redesigned.
- Now PeerTube support live streaming
- Add page in admin to manage video comments of the instance
- Delete notifications related to muted accounts/instances
- Add ability for moderators to display all videos (not yet published, private…) in channels/accounts pages
- Automatically enable auto block of new videos if the admin enables signups in the admin interface
- Allow private syndication feed of videos from subscriptions
- Add possibility to share origin URL to video if it’s not local