LXQt 0.17 is the first update to this lightweight Qt5 desktop environment for 2021. It is focused on being a classic desktop with a modern look and feel.
LXQt is a very light and simple desktop environment built using the Qt libraries. It was formed by the merger of the LXDE and Razor-qt project. Currently, almost all major Linux distributions provides LXQt options as it is very lightweight with features loaded.
The LXQt desktop provides its own list of components specifically designed using Qt frameworks which gives you a stable yet super fast desktop experience.
What’s new in LXQt 0.17.0
Above all, LXQt Panel now has an option for behaving like a dock, i.e., auto-hiding only on overlapping a window. Regarding power management, idle watchers of AC and battery are separated from each other. In addition to, an option is added to disable idle watcher when the active window is fullscreen.
Now creation time is fully supported by the file manager and file size limits for thumbnail creation are activated. It is also important to note that launchers can be created from Tools menu (and not only on Desktop).
Other major improvements:
- SVG icon sets are handled more efficiently and independently.
- Translations are completely done through Weblate and are constantly updated for all components.
- Better opening of a mixed selection of files that have different mime types.
- Natural keyboard navigation on Desktop.
- All child processes are terminated at the session end.
You’ll find the full LXQt 0.17.0 changelog here.