Believe or not, but Ubuntu is putting ads in their motd now.
A reddit thread that has received a many angry comments condemns Canonical for putting ads in the motd. A screenshot which is displayed alongside the following message, confirms that. The message says:
If you’ve been waiting for the perfect Kubernetes dev solution for macOS, the wait is over. Learn how to install Microk8s on macOS.
But don’t panic. This is an old problem.
Currently, https://motd.ubuntu.com shows a news item about HBO’s Silicon Valley which has a reference to Ubuntu. Instead, https://motd.ubuntu.com should show relevant items to those that use Ubuntu Server (relevant security issues, etc), instead of items for desktop users.
If you wish to deal with this whole thing, a reddit user mralanorth suppose the couple steps:
motd-news.timer systemd units. Also delete the following:
- /etc/update-motd.d/99-esm # Ubuntu 14.04
- /etc/update-motd.d/10-help-text # Ubuntu 14.04+
- /etc/update-motd.d/50-motd-news # Ubuntu 16.04+
- /etc/update-motd.d/80-esm # Ubuntu 16.04+
- /etc/update-motd.d/80-livepatch # Ubuntu 18.04+
The decision is up to you.